How To Be Proud Of The Content You Produce

blog-content-pride-final2

I recently mentioned in my monthly favourites post for last month that I was feeling proud of the content I produce here. Well, you might say that you should always be proud of any content you put together. But sometimes, you’re not. Sometimes you look back at it a week later and think “could I have done better?” or even worse, “another blogger could have/ has done that better”.

It’s a dangerous way of thinking, but we can’t help it. Sometimes, it pushes us to be better which is great – but often it kills that spark that enables you to continue creating.

Why is it that I’m currently feeling proud of the content on my blog? It’s certainly not a big increase in visitors because my traffic levels have stayed about the same. It’s not the ability to create more consistently, because I do still struggle with that.

No, it’s because I have made a conscious effort to pour more of me into the words I type.

Instead of writing what I think needs to be written, I’ve written honestly about my thoughts, feelings and experiences. I’ve been doing that for a long time, developing my “voice” here – but it hit me just a week or so ago that the voice is ready. I’m done spending too much time reading other blogs that have a different voice and thinking that maybe if I tried to be more like them then I would feel better about the content I put out.

I’ve also subconsciously been including more photos of myself on my blog, which naturally makes my content more authentic, but it also shows that I have become more confident in myself. I may not be the size 10 I want to be, and I may desperately need a haircut, but fuck it. This is me, and this is my space on t’internet.

So if you’re not feeling proud of the content you’re producing, here’s a few tips to help you out.

Read less blogs

Yep. Really. Start reading your blog more instead. What is it you do like, and don’t like about the content you’re producing now, or have produced in the past? Let that guide you as to the direction to take, instead of what others are doing.

When you get bogged down in what others are doing, you judge yourself too harshly. The only person you should be comparing yourself to is past you.

Put yourself out there

I know it’s easier said than done, but I am most proud of the posts like *this one*, and *this one* because I put myself out there and just told it how it is. They may not have had the most comments or visitors, but that’s not what it’s all about.

I’ve always wanted this blog to be a bit like a diary, and these outpourings of my thoughts are the ones that I will look back in weeks, months or maybe even years and be proud of them.

Measure your stats

I totally appreciate that this might be slightly controversial – but hear me out. I’ve been recording my blog stats month on month for a few months now and although not all of the numbers are going upwards each month, I am able to look at the metrics that are improving and pinpoint why.

For example, I have been making more of an effort on social media to find new bloggers to follow, and have also been breaking up my self-promo tweets. I can see it’s making a difference, because my number of followers has increased each month.

Instead of bringing yourself down that your traffic may have slightly dropped, focus on the positive changes and allow yourself to be proud – and even a little bit smug.

Are you proud of your blog content?

Share:

8 Comments

1. May 3, 2017 / 7:51 am

I love this post. Comparison with others is the worst thing that anyone could do to their content. I’m learning to appreciate my own unique style of content too and checking up on stats once in a while 🙂

Pallavi

• Cat
      May 3, 2017 / 7:54 am

Thank you! Glad you like it (I do, too!). It does take time and it doesn’t always last, but when it goes it does come back! You’re doing the right thing by not obsessively checking your stats, too x

2. May 4, 2017 / 12:14 am

I’m so pleased to hear that you’re proud of your content, as you should be! This is definitely something I struggle with at times. Not initially with my posts, otherwise I wouldn’t publish them, but in weeks, months and even years time. I’ve actually been going back over old blog posts to sort the SEO out from when they were on Blogger and I had no clue about SEO. I always thought that my writing was lacking in a personal voice, but when I’ve read through some of my older posts, I’ve realised I judged myself mush too harshly. If anything, I started with lots of personality and lost my way a bit in the middle, as I started writing about health topics with my uni hat on. Something I’ve been working on moving away from. Xx

Tania | When Tania Talks

• Cat
      May 4, 2017 / 1:37 pm

That’s great to hear you’re going back and found that actually, the content was better than you thought! I find this too sometimes with some of the posts that at the time were favourites but got forgotten over time! I think in terms of topics, moving to more lifestyle stuff has really helped me. x

3. May 4, 2017 / 12:47 pm

Fab advice – I found my voice a year or so ago and it certainly helped me feel proud of the content I produce. Before that, my posts all sounded very forced and professional – so not me! I’m much more of an informal, chatty voice. I love tracking my stats too as it helps me see where to improve and where I’m doing well and usually gives me a bit of a boost even if I haven’t improved much that month!

• Cat
      May 4, 2017 / 1:36 pm

Thank you! I felt like some of my older posts hinted at ‘my voice’ but were a bit too ‘formal’ in a way if that makes sense? Glad yours is developed now, too! Tracking stats definitely has its pros and cons but can definitely give you a boost or room for improvement!

4. May 9, 2017 / 11:10 pm

I’m terribly afraid of putting too much of myself out there. Sigh. It’s great that you’re comfortable enough to open up and still feel pleased about your content.

Great post.

The Girl on the Tamarind Hill

• Cat
      May 10, 2017 / 9:57 am

It does take time to get to a place where you feel comfortable putting yourself out there. Rewind even just a matter of a few month’s ago and I wouldn’t have been sharing the mental health posts that I share now. It does take time to get comfortable with opening up, so you will get there. Just try typing up a post from the heart and see what happens. Glad you enjoyed the post!