8 Things People Like That I Just Can’t

things people like that i don't

Sometimes I just don’t get people, y’know? I’m a tolerant person (except for towards those that don’t know how to use their indicators), but there are certain things people like that I just do not get.

Some of the things I’ll list below I have tried to get behind, but no I just can’t do it plz forgive me. Other things just baffle me so much that I cannot conceive the idea of ever even trying to like/enjoy them, in which case they are probably just plain bad and if you like them you should just stop.

Just FYI, there’s a real mix here so they aren’t listed in any sort of order other than the order in which they spilled out of my brain. ENJOY!

The X Factor

OK, so I list this first because it’s what triggered me to write this post. I’m staying at my parents for the weekend, and they watch it every damn year even though it’s way way past it’s peak and they know it.

I had to leave the room when it was on because it’s basically become The Voice (but worse) and the singers just shriek and wail to try and get a ‘seat’. None of them are good. They should all go home.

I used to watch it, back in the day when the auditions were still entertaining. They had a good mix of comically bad and impressively good. But now? NAH MATE EVERYONE IS SHOCKING.

People seem to love it still though – or do they love to hate it? I don’t know I just want it to stop now.

Seafood

So yes, I know I’m not exactly a minority for not being a fan of seafood but lots of people I know seem to love it. It’s one of those things that just makes my skin crawl – whether it’s fish, crustaceans or any form of seafood. Blergh.

When I was younger I used to eat Birds Eye fish fingers (because what British kid didn’t?!), but one day my body and brain was like NO MORE OF THIS THANKS. Since then, the mere idea of seafood makes my skin crawl.

PSL

Oooh Autumn, ooooh Pumpkin Spiced Latte. I get that other people like it and all, but I can’t really get behind it myself. Give me a caramel hot chocolate with a mountain of cream and marshmallows any day of the week. Well, in A/W because in the summer or spring that would just be unnecessarily indulgent.

Blog comment trolling

I’m debating whether to do another post on this because it got me so so riled up the other day. I was reading my favourite blog recently and went to leave a comment, making the mistake of reading other comments that had been left.

Here’s a little taster of the vileness that reached my eye sockets:

“The word gunt comes to mind!”.

SERIOUSLY? What the eff do people get out of being so incredibly cruel in a completely unjustifiable way? I can’t even.

These idiots clearly enjoy themselves as they just keep doing it – even if a blogger (who has every right to do so) decides to delete their comments, they keep on coming back and spreading more bile. GTFO mate.

Beyonce

For real y’all, I don’t get it. I cannot stand her music and really cannot fathom the mass appeal around ‘Queen Bey’. Is anyone able to explain it to me? Can it even be explained? Are my ears just not attuned to her style of music? Am I broken?

Culottes

What even are these? Cropped wide leg trousers from the looks of it, but they also appear to be some mad phenomenon.

Admittedly, in the OOTD’s that I’ve seen on blogs, the blogger always looks great in them but when I picture myself wearing them it’s all sorts of wrong. I have stumpy short legs as it is and I just don’t see how they would suit me.

Maybe I’ll need to try them on before damning them too much but they just seem so *odd*.

Being professionally offended

If you’re unsure what it means to be professionally offended, it basically means you kick the hell off and flip a table over anything and everything that could be misconstrued as offensive, or that you feel you should be offended by even if it doesn’t effect you in any way shape or form.

That’s not to say you shouldn’t be offended by things that aren’t to do with you, it’s more that you really don’t need to be offended by absolutely everything.

Those that are professionally offended usually take to Twitter to vent in a long stream of tweets about how everyone else is wrong. I don’t see what people like about doing this? Oh yeah….attention.

Soaps

No not that sort of soap, although about 99% of hand soaps flare up my dermatitis so I don’t exactly like them either.

No, I mean TV soaps. I can’t understand the appeal of watching people shouting at each other for up to an hour and Christmas being marked by a death of a character. Have some balls and kill off characters all the time like Game of Thrones – much more fun.

Soaps to me are way more ludicrous than a show starring dragons. Soaps are supposed to be grounded in reality, so why do they keep bringing back characters who died on screen? It’s not like Melisandre is knocking about waiting to do a Jon Snow.

What things people like are there that you just can’t?

Share:

22 Comments

1. September 25, 2016 / 7:23 pm

THANK YOU!! Someone who isn’t obsessed with Beyoncé!!! Thing is I think she has an amazing voice but I just don’t ‘get’ her songs or music. They just sound like gibberish to me?!

I don’t understand the PSL thing either to be honest, A/W will always be about hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows 🙂

• Cat
      September 25, 2016 / 9:16 pm

I don’t even like her voice at all! I get that she is a good singer but it’s not my style. They really do sound like gibberish, that’s a good way to describe them! Down with PSL – hot choc and all the trimmings all the way!

2. September 25, 2016 / 8:08 pm

I loved this post! I’m totally with you on the Beyoncé point! Haha! A

• Cat
      September 25, 2016 / 9:16 pm

Haha thank you, glad you enjoyed it! x

3. September 25, 2016 / 8:08 pm

I dont like beyonce either, her new music is rubbish, think shes tryng to keep her youth too much, like what madonna is doing as well.

• Cat
      September 25, 2016 / 9:16 pm

I’m so pleased to read all these comments saying they don’t get Beyonce either, I thought I was alone! Don’t even get me started on Madonna! x

4. Claire
    September 25, 2016 / 8:23 pm

I’m glad I ain’t the only one who doesn’t get the whole “Pumpkin Spiced Lattes”, I’d rather have a nice Hot Chocolate over a PSL any day haha.

Claire || http://www.nailbeautylife.co.uk

• Cat
      September 25, 2016 / 9:17 pm

Yes, exactly! Hot chocolates are always the best choice x

5. September 26, 2016 / 4:19 pm

Oh my god, I can relate to so many of these. I do not get; Beyoncé, The X Factor (hate it – my mum raves about it every year though :/), culottes, comment trolling, PSL (I tried it one year, and couldn’t stand it – I’ll take a hot chocolate over PSL any day thanks!) Could really relate to this list – great post 🙂 x

• Cat
      September 26, 2016 / 9:07 pm

Haaha love that you basically related to almost all of them – glad I’m not alone! x

6. September 28, 2016 / 1:31 pm

Did I write this?!! I hate literally ALL of these things too. It’s like this has come straight from my brain! I’m so glad you agree on the whole Beyonce thing! Seriously, why is she so special?!

• Cat
      October 2, 2016 / 9:20 pm

Hahah, amazing – glad I’m not the only sane person 😉 I don’t get why she’s special at all. I find her voice so *whiny*

7. September 30, 2016 / 11:19 pm

I second pretty much all of these. I honestly can’t get my head around why X Factor is limping on – it drives me nuts! And as for “Queen Bey”? I kind of get where the masses are coming from – it’s not really the music, I think they’re shouting from the same place “Girl Boss” came from (…don’t get me started on how sick of that phrase I am…). Personally, I don’t get the hype. There are other women out there who are far more inspiring.

• Cat
      October 2, 2016 / 9:21 pm

Glad to hear I’m not alone – I don’t find Beyonce the least bit inspiring, and like you said there are definitely a lot more women out there that are more deserving of being called a Queen!

8. October 2, 2016 / 10:51 am

Oh this post has my heart!! I do not get the Beyonce thing, she bothers me. Yet heaven forbid anyone voices this opinion in public for fear of people getting out their pitchforks and running you out of town.
    PSL – No thank you hideous vile things! Same goes for Culottes really – like you I have seen people look fab in them but it’s definitely not a trend I want to try.
    I do not understand being professionally offended, dear lord it’s like some people just get offended about every little thing. I think we have become a people who are just a little too over sensitive. A lot of things people do bug me but I just let it go over my head and move on. Although I was offended by a neighbour mowing his lawn at 8:30 on a Sunday morning today but I believe that is justified 🙂
    x

• Cat
      October 2, 2016 / 9:22 pm

Thanks for your comment, Emma! Sounds like we have a lot in common! I am often very offended by my neighbours too ;)! x

9. Danni
    October 8, 2016 / 4:52 pm

Haha I agree with all of your list!

• Cat
      October 8, 2016 / 9:04 pm

Glad I’m not the only one!

10. October 9, 2016 / 4:55 pm

Lol I agree with, like, all of these! The X-Factor was alright when I was like 15/16, you know, everyone watched it, the auditions were hilarious and sometimes I liked a contestant or two, but nowadays it’s like, ugh, is it really still going? Why? It’s awful and so cringy. And people STILL deny that it’s scripted and fixed etc. Erm, sure. I’m sorta the same about seafood but I actually enjoy fish – I don’t like prawns or mussels or any of that tho! None of the weird stuff for me thanks! Troll comments in general piss me off. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. Why do people find that a hard concept to grasp? As for Beyoncé, 100% don’t get the ‘Queen Bey’ thing. She’s alright I guess? I mean I don’t really have anything against her as a person but her music isn’t my cup of tea. And to reiterate, Queen Bey? Like, why?

• Cat
      October 9, 2016 / 10:51 pm

X Factor has definitely run its course – you can tell because they keep making changes to the show to try and make it ‘entertaining’ again! Of course it’s scripted – it feels much more scripted than it used to as well. They also edit it so so much.

I can’t deal with any seafood – grosses me out! I’m probably missing out on some good food but just the thought of it…ergh!

The troll comments are particularly frustrating because I know it does hurt people. I wish it didn’t, but I know people do often take troll comments to heart and it sucks.

Finally, Beyonce may be very nice but I cannot stand her music at all! x

11. October 10, 2016 / 1:35 pm

Did a proper laugh out loud at Beyoncé! I wrote a post about things I hated and she was on it and the amount of people that started admitting they didn’t get it either was astounding. I will admit I think Lemonade is a great record but I still don’t “get” Beyoncé.
    Oh and I’m so with you on the PSL thing, it just sounds disgusting! Like the smell of pumpkin innards gives me the boke and I imagine they taste like that so no thank you!
    X

• Cat
      October 11, 2016 / 10:12 pm

Lol! That’s amazing. Yeah I have also been pleasantly surprised that not EVERYONE worships the ground she walks on! x