I’m Trying To Do Better

trying-to-do-better

As I type this, it’s a Wednesday night and I really want a post to go live tomorrow, because my blog has lacked consistency recently – but more importantly – I miss blogging properly.

I’m wracking my brains whilst sitting in bed in my new Batman PJs listening to old school Blink 182, wishing that my creative spark would make a return soon. I’ve skimmed my feed of blogs I like to keep up with, and I’ve frantically flicked through my Dana Fox lifestyle blogging ideas book. But no. Nothing. Zilch. Nadda. Maybe I should just commit to some sort of hiatus until the ideas come flowing back.

All I can think of as an inkling of an idea is to talk frankly with you on how I want to be better, do better. I’ve felt a bit like I’m drowning in this need to consume content – whether it’s other blogs, the growing pile of comics on my bedside cabinet, and the expansive list of TV shows I want to watch on Netflix. First world problems, right?

But with that first world problem comes another one – the pressure to keep creating content, to feel validated in my self-titled role of “creator”. I feel like I’m failing on both counts.

Don’t worry guys, I know how ridiculous this all sounds but there’s something therapeutic about spilling the beans, y’know?

I want to do better at being creative – at finding time to have ideas and to embrace them. To scribble more, and create more. To stop being driven by what others are doing, or being blindsided by the sheer volume of things I want to read, watch and hear. To take a step back and be proud of what I could do creatively, if I only focused on it.

I want my blog to be something to be happy with again. Something I’ll always find time for because it’s an outlet for creativity, for sharing thoughts and ideas and goings on.

So, bear with me. I’ll get there. Even if it does mean things might remain a little quieter on here in the short term.

Share:

8 Comments

1. Elle
    July 28, 2016 / 5:48 pm

I feel the same at the moment. My blog doesn’t keep a consistency and although I’m not happy with it, it does fit with my lifestyle!

• Cat
      July 29, 2016 / 9:25 pm

I think sometimes you just have to come to terms with the fact that consistency isn’t always possible. I don’t like creating content for the sake of it so I need to get used to having breaks between posts to ensure the next one is something to be proud of! x

2. July 29, 2016 / 10:23 am

Hi Cat, great post. I’m in exactly the same place, so im feeling you. When I first started I couldn’t get the posts dome fast enough, but now I feel I’ve lost my way. We will get there 🙂 H xx

• Cat
      July 29, 2016 / 9:26 pm

Glad to hear I’m not alone – I have had periods of time where I am *full* of ideas and have several posts lined up…but not so much right now! But yeah, we’ll get it back ;)! x

3. August 1, 2016 / 1:34 pm

I’ve gone through similar, I think we all do. I keep going through the motions until the spark returns – not necessarily publishing anything but just allowing my brain the space to think. So maybe stop trying to consume everything. You don’t have to – we all associate guilt with these things, that we HAVE to keep up. You’ll be grand, don’t panic, it will return.

• Cat
      August 1, 2016 / 8:15 pm

Thank you hun, you’re so right! I do get wrapped up in guilt over trying to consume when I really do enjoy creating more! x

4. Aimee
    August 4, 2016 / 11:32 am

Yep. I can totally relate to this. I don’t know that there’s a ‘cure’ but I hope you feel that creative spark again soon!

• Cat
      August 7, 2016 / 12:17 am

Thank you – hope you do too! I’ve decided to just try and post when I can and feel the spark to do so rather than try and stick to a schedule all the time x